While it is legal for “just anyone” to facilitate an intervention, it is not ethical.  I encourage you to protect yourself and your loved ones by hiring a licensed addiction and mental health professional.  A licensed clinician will have letters like LPC (Licensed Professional Counselor), LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker), or LMFT (Licensed Marriage & Family Counselor) after their name.  These professionals are highly educated, trained, and are held to a high ethical and professional standard as mandated by state licensure boards.  Not all licensed clinicians specialize in intervention, but when you find one that does these are the interventionists to hire for your intervention!

Further, you want to look for an Independent Interventionist.  This is an interventionist who does not receive kick-backs or any other financial incentive to refer to a particular treatment program or facility.  This happens more than you may think.  And it is something to ask any interventionist you are considering.  If the interventionist is a member of The Network of Independent Interventionists you can be assured that they are independent interventionists.

You will notice that some interventionists have the initials CIP after their name.  Including me.  I have this certification in addition to my doctorate degree in behavioral health (DBH), my master’s degree in counseling (MC), and my licensure as a professional counselor (LPC) because it indicates my additional specialty in intervention.  But just a CIP alone without licensed addiction and mental health training is not sufficient.

CIP stands for Certified Intervention Professional.  This certification is awarded to interventionists who meet these standards of education, training, and experience.



  • Two years of work experience providing direct substance use intervention and related services 50% of the time.  All experience must be documented.
  • Participation in five interventions and facilitation of five interventions within the last three years for a total of ten interventions.


Education must be specifically related to the knowledge and skills necessary to perform the tasks within the domains. Education is defined as formal, structured instruction in the form of workshops, seminars, institutes, in-services, college/university credit courses and distance learning. All education must be documented. There is no time limit on when education was received. Education provided to other professionals is also acceptable. A relevant three credit college course is equal to 45 hours.

  • Minimum High School Diploma/GED.
  • 150 hours of education relevant to domains. The following hours must be included within the total number of hours required:
  • 20 hours in intervention theory and practice
  • 12 hours in family systems
  • 12 hours in motivational interviewing
  • 12 hours specific to addiction
  • 6 hours in crisis intervention
  • 6 hours in behavioral health ethics


100 hours of supervision with a minimum of ten hours in each domain. Supervision must be documented and may occur as part of eligible work experience and may be completed under more than one supervisor. The supervisor must hold a current certification or license in the behavioral health field. Supervision is the administrative and evaluative process of monitoring, assessing, and enhancing professional’s performance.


Pass the examination for Intervention Professionals.


  1. Intervention Competence
  2. Pre-Intervention
  3. Intervention
  4. Post-Intervention
  5. Professional & Ethical Responsibility

(reprinted from https://www.pacertboard.org/sites/default/files/applications/PCB_CIP%20Application.pdf)